Pages

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Licorice, Zinnia and Verbena

I came across this plant and flower combination at the base of a tree along the sidewalk of a shopping mall. I love the contrasting colors and textures:


The trailing silver/green foliage of the Licorice Plant (Helichrysum petiolare) at the base makes a great groundcover. The middle layer is filled with Zinnia augustifolia in a brilliant reddish-orange flower color. The innermost layer is filled with the tall and wispy Purpletop verbena (Verbena bonariensis). All three of these have very different foliages, flowers and habits, yet they all seem to compliment each other as well. In addition, these three thrive in ordinary soil and full sun, which is why they look so great in this parking lot!

4 comments:

  1. It's definitely my sort of planting ... such interesting choices! It's great to see things like this that are slightly different to the norm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Kate, Indeed, some interesting plants and combinations. One is often surprised at what is achieved, sadly all too rarely, in public places. This certainly is very different from what is usually to be seen in carparks attached to supermarkets in the UK.

    Your previous posting of the plastic storks delighted me and, yes, they do in fact move one step beyond what might be considered the tacky. Strangely, this is a subject upon which I have touched in my latest posting where gladioli are the plants in question!

    I am signing up as a 'Follower' to remain in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beauty for a small spot gardening. Never come across these kind of style before.
    Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comments. I think its so fun when you just happen upon a beautiful arrangement, even in the most unlikely of places!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! Even if I don't reply to each comment, please know that I do read every one of them and truly enjoy hearing from you!