Pages

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

100,000 Bulbs in Bloom!


100,000 bulbs, over 500 varieties in bloom. With beautifully landscaped grounds and so many things blooming, this garden reminded me of Keukenhof in Lisse, Holland. But it was actually the private home of my friend Deb Van Bourgondien on Long Island. Debbie is the executive vice president of Van Bourgondien and Sons, which sells bulbs via its Van Bourgondien catalog and website dutchbulbs.com.

Every fall she plants more and more bulbs on her property - a task I'm sure her neighbors thank her for every spring.

Pulling into the driveway I was met with a sea of yellow daffodils, beds of tulips and two enormous cedar trees.




The side bed was anchored by two gorgeous Saucer Magnolia trees (Magnolia x Soulangiana) in full bloom.



Because of all the different varieties, the bloom times were different. Each bed had some tulips or daffodils that were blooming, some that were still in bud and others that had just finished.




Everywhere I walked, something new was blooming and under the foliage of the bulbs, I could see the new stalks of late spring/early summer blooming perennials, like Hostas and Peonies, peeking through the soil.




I was so happy to have explored her garden and am in awe at the amount of work that has been put into it. I can't wait to go back again soon to see what the garden looks like in the summer!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, would I love to be her neighbor. What a simply gorgeous display of spring she has in her gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto, I want this neighbor too. Just stunning. Loads of work though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fabulous! What a beautiful garden. There's no mistaking that spring has arrived!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh WOW!! That makes my nearly 1000 bulbs seem paltry! Beautiful garden, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! Even if I don't reply to each comment, please know that I do read every one of them and truly enjoy hearing from you!