Pages

Friday, May 20, 2011

Weeds Are My Friends

It's been raining here all week. I can't remember the last time it has rained five consecutive days in a row. And not just a little drizzle, I'm talking about full fledged downpours!
So needless to say, by yesterday, I was feeling down in the dumps. The weather certainly has a big impact on my mood and state of mind.


In between showers, I passed these Poppy buds in a neighbor's yard. I love the fuzziness of the stem and bud, but also how their heads droop downward. Their "droopy" state was sort of symbolic to how I was feeling. I couldn't help but smile when I passed them. Hopefully, in a few days, the sun will come out, the Poppy's bright orange flower will be on display and I will be in a much better mood!

The other thing that helped me feel better yesterday was weeding. The soil was so wet, it was very easy to weed the vegetable garden. The repetitive nature of the weeding, coupled with the rich smell of the wet earth was simply meditative and healing for me. I had only 30 minutes before I needed to rush off to do something else, but those 30 minutes were pure bliss for me. So yes, weeds may not be wanted in the garden, but at the end of the day, they sometimes can be like good friends, helping me through a tough day.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Kate, I understand that relation between the weather and our mood - winters are the most difficult. That poppy thing is intoxicating :-)

    I've just recognized your line about snowdrops in my blog as blogspot hid it somehow. Thanks for your visit! Eszter

    ReplyDelete
  2. The rain must be everywhere. A lot of droppy heads here in Niagara Falls, plants and people. I like the rain, like I like snow, and I try to make the best of it. I am always out with the camera in the rain. Photos are a bit gray, but it makes for not missing what's happening all about. We have been getting sun in short bursts and that is always pretty after the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kate. The weather does affect a persons mood. I have had so many down days this spring because of the consistent rains we have had. Then one day of sun will sneak in and I am excited and upbeat again.LOL! I love poppies too and they are such a cheerful flower with its bright colors.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! Even if I don't reply to each comment, please know that I do read every one of them and truly enjoy hearing from you!