Pages

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Spring has sprung (in more ways than one!)

Spring is here. Time for rebirth, new growth and the start of a new cycle of life. I've been on a bit of a hiatus these past few months and for that I apologize. But it's been a busy winter here. In December, we moved to a new house. Then in January, I gave birth to twins. And now it's May and I'm finally starting to settle into the rhythm of life with four kids and a new house. 

Having moved from a rental house where I only had containers and a small deck, I am fascinated to see what is popping up at this new house. From what I gathered from the neighbors, horticulturalists used to live here and as a result, there are some really nice plantings on the property already. However, the people that we bought the house from had let these plantings take over. As a result, there are a lot of overgrown shrubs, a bizillion hostas and lots places of neglect. In addition, the back part of the property is very wooded and on a slope. There is one level spot where I assume held a swing set at one time. Lots and lots of maples, probably self seeded.

Here's how it looked in March:
Overgrown Pieris japonica (Andromeda) behind the stone wall provides at least some green color through the winter.

A large, overgrown Yew hedge wraps around the path to the front door. The main front yard garden has a lovely Japanese Maple tree in the center. Sandwiched between the Maple and the Yew is a lovely Weeping Spruce which definitely needs more room to grow.

Looking down from the top of the slope, the backyard is a woodland wonderland right now.

The mild winter and warm temperatures in April made everything bloom early, but I didn't mind!
Hostas, Japanese Barberry (Berberis thunbergii), Coral Bells, Iris and Forsythia line the garden near the road.  A beautiful Kwanzan Cherry tree is in full bloom next to the house.

The Japanese Maple begins to leaf out. Below it, I see some Tulips, Sedum and Montauk Daisy coming up.

I love the smell of the fragrant white flowers on Pieris japonica and the reddish color of its new growth. Below it, two lovely Azalea plants stretch for sunlight. Hostas and Astilbe make up the triangular garden on the patio.

Now it's May and the maple and oak trees are all full of leaves, providing a lot of shade in the backyard. The Hostas are at their full width, Iris is blooming and some of the ferns I have in containers are taking hold. Time for me to get outside and take some photos... if I can find the time! I'll do my best, so stay tuned.




3 comments:

  1. How wonderful that your new house has so many great plantings already.I am sure you will get it shaped up and make it your own. The Japanese Maple and Azaleas are so pretty. Congrats and welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!!! I somehow suspected you definitely bought your own house, that's why you are away so long. And also children! I suppose you aren't bored, are you :-)
    It will be exciting to see your garden growth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lona and Kata! Its a busy place here, but all good. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! Even if I don't reply to each comment, please know that I do read every one of them and truly enjoy hearing from you!