Pages

Tuesday, March 20, 2018

A Fickle Spring

Ah spring. The birds are chirping, the crocus are blooming and the days are getting longer. My itchy gardening fingers can't wait to get out into the garden. There are plants to relocate, shrubs to prune and beds to clean up. The weather here on Long Island this month started off lovely and warm!

The Snowdrops (Galanthus) and Witch Hazel (Hamamelis) were blooming: 


Splashes of purple appeared around the yard - Crocus and Iris (Iris reticulata) were enjoying the sunshine!


And then it happened.
Spring decided it didn't want to continue just yet and allowed Winter to return for a few more weeks. And with that, these blooming spring beauties were covered in snow, mid-March. Here's what my daffodils and hellebores looked like:




As upsetting as this was, there was not much I could do.  I am unable to control the weather. I can only change my attitude toward it.  And I also know that Spring WILL come and I'll be amazed by so many of my plants resiliency. A fickle spring indeed...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! Even if I don't reply to each comment, please know that I do read every one of them and truly enjoy hearing from you!