Pages

Saturday, September 15, 2012

What's Blooming: September 2012

Today is Garden Bloggers Bloom Day! Here's a look at what's growing and blooming in my garden this month.


The buds on the Montauk Daisies (Nipponanthemum nipponicum) are starting to show. I've pruned this down twice throughout the summer to help keep its shape and can't wait to see the blossoms in a few weeks!

I love the pink hue of the Sedum 'Autumn Joy' against its lush green foliage. I still have a few Black Eyed Susans too which are a lovely contrast to the pink.

To my delight, the Lychnis coronaria decided to bloom again (left) and the potted geranium continues to put on a good show. I recently planted some new mums in the front of the garden and to the back, more will soon be blooming.

 This just started blooming too and I believe it is Salvia farinacea (Victoria White)

The blooms on the panicle hydrangea (possibly Hydrangea paniculata 'Tardiva'??) are turning a light pink which is so pretty. The shrub I inherited is completely overgrown and needs to be pruned. It blooms on new wood, but I'm wondering if I should trim it down after the blooms fade and again in the early spring or just wait until March? Any advice would be appreciated!

After I had to rip out the impatiens due to downy mildew (see my post here) I planted these begonias. They are doing quite well in this shady spot. As you can see, a few rogue impatiens are still trying to grow!

We are hopefully starting the backyard renovation project in the next few weeks. Stay tuned for photos of the transformation!

As always, any thanks to Carol over at May Dreams Gardens for hosting the monthly Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day

2 comments:

  1. That's a lovely hydrangea! Our hydrangeas didn't bloom as prolifically as they usually do--and we had plenty of rain this summer. Your blooms are beautiful! Look forward to visiting your garden again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Autumn Joy when it turns that beautiful shade of pink. And your hydrangeas are beautiful. I never know if the kind I have bloom on new or old wood so I'm always reluctant to cut them at all!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! Even if I don't reply to each comment, please know that I do read every one of them and truly enjoy hearing from you!