Pages

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

What's Blooming This Month? July 2014

It's Garden Blogger Bloom Day! On the 15th of each month, we garden bloggers like to show off what's blooming and growing in our gardens. Here on Long Island, zone 7, things are blooming all over and some still recovering from my sour mulch disaster. Read more about that here

Below are a few favorites from my garden this month:

Hemerocallis Purple d'Oro
This lovely purple daylily has a bright yellow center and crinkled edges on the petals. 

Thankfully these chartreuse colored coral bells are recovering from the mulch disaster. The wispy pink blooms held above the bright foliage brightens up this shady spot under the viburnum.

Courtesy of my four budding artists, I acquired some yard art for my garden and nestled them among the variegated Liriope. 

And these Annabelle hydrangeas are blooming so profusely this year! They look like big snowballs. 

Even though the flowers have faded from the viburnum shrubs, the red berries have started to take form and look like subtle flowers themselves. 

The Endless Summer hydrangeas were not too badly affected by this winter's bitter cold and are now pushing out beautiful blue blooms, some tinged with purple. 

My sea of Black-eyed Susans are on the cusp of blooming. 
I love their form contrast to the tall, wispy Russian Sage and color contrast to the bright pink Echinacea.

New this year: Echinacea 'Cherry Brandy'

More cheery Rudbeckias! 

So there you go! My garden in July. What's blooming in your garden? Do you have any of the same plants? I'd love to hear from you!

Many thanks to Carol over at May Dreams Gardens for hosting this month's GBBD! 

10 comments:

  1. Your Hydrangea are doing great this year. Mine are not. No flowers on one and the others set back from the heavy snow this year. Always next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, always next year. This winter was brutal for so many!

      Delete
  2. Your gardens are beautiful Kate and I love the colors on your new Echinacea 'Cherry Brandy'. Happy Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, the hydrangeas are stunning. I planted some in my garden this spring and it started blooming-happy days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are magical, aren't they? Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  4. You and I have a lot of the same plants. :o) I don't have Cherry brandy but I do have a few other types of rudbeckia. I'm a sucker for a great viburnum and cool daylilies. Your garden looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The Cherry Brandy is really coming into full bloom today - even had a visit from a yellow swallowtail butterfly this morning! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  5. I went back to read about your mulch disaster--how awful! I hope some of your affected plants recovered; I think that would be enough to make me cry. I'm so envious of your beautiful blue hydrangea blooms; I think I told you that here in Illinois it takes a lot of soil amendment to get anything but pink blooms. Enjoyed getting to meet you in Portland and spending time talking with you--you have a lovely garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful meeting you in Oregon as well! It's fun to connect faces with the blogs now. :) And the mulch disaster is still in recovery mode, but getting there. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment! Even if I don't reply to each comment, please know that I do read every one of them and truly enjoy hearing from you!