Pages

Thursday, August 15, 2013

What's Blooming: August 2013

August is normally the hottest month here on Long Island, hardiness zone 7. But this year, we had a brutally hot and humid July, and instead, August has been dry, warm and simply gorgeous. The garden is pretty much on auto pilot these days, though I of course have to keep up with the weeding, deadheading and maintenance. Here's what's blooming in my garden this month:

The Pee Gee Hydrangea is in full bloom. It's heavy blossoms bend the branches to a lovely arching habit.

In the front yard, the Crape Myrtle is full of pink blooms and to the right is a Panicle Hydrangea, also in full bloom today.

The Knockout Rose bush I planted this spring is thriving nicely and the Black-eyed Susans are still bright and cheery.

Over in the new shade garden, the Toad Lily (Tricyrtis) is blooming. I love the delicateness of it and it's a welcome bloom in the shade for sure.

The pink carpet roses keep blooming in the backyard. I love how maintenance-free they are!

The variegated Liriope is starting to bloom. These beautiful purple spikes are just starting to emerge and look great contrasting with the yellow/green of the leaves.

And that's what's going on in my part of the world! Be sure to check out what else is growing around the country over at May Dreams Gardens "Garden Blogger Bloom Day" list.

2 comments:

  1. Kate-your gardens are lovely. I am running a little late for Bloom Day but It is always nice to visit a fellow Long Island gardener. I love this time of year for Peegee Hydrangea and Crape Myrtle...yours are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! Even if I don't reply to each comment, please know that I do read every one of them and truly enjoy hearing from you!