Pages

Friday, July 26, 2013

New Shade Garden - 2 month update

As you may remember reading, in May 2013, I cleared out an overgrown area full of English Ivy to make room for a new shade garden in my front yard. (You can re-read that post here.). By now, it's the middle of July and things are growing well, filling out and blooming. So far, they seem happy in their new spot. Have a look at the progression below:  

May 8
The Kwanzan cherry tree above began to drop its petals, creating a beautiful pink carpet on the shade garden. Little plants were still getting settled in their new homes. 

May 28
By the end of the month, the Phlox 'Home Fires' and Aquilegia 'Biedermeier' were blooming!

June 15
A month later, the plants were really starting to take shape. 
In the far end, I have Tricyrtis 'Tojen', Ghost Fern, Astilbe 'Peach Blossom', and Hosta 'June'. Towards the middle, I planted Hercherella x Rosalie, Japanese Painted Fern, Phlox 'Home Fires', Polygonatum Varigatum and Hosta 'Great Expectations'. Continuing forward, I planted Brunnera 'Jack Frost', Dicentra rosa, Hosta 'Mouse Ears', Aquilegia 'Biedermeier', Anenome sylvestris, and Heuchera 'Obsidian'.  

June 23
The cute, little Hosta 'Mouse Ears' is in in bloom with lovely purple blossoms. 

July 17
Really filling in now. The Brunnera finished blooming and the foliage was doing well, but suddenly the leaves died off. Thankfully there are new ones coming up, so I'm hoping it will come back and thrive. 

I'm so happy it is doing well and really excited to see it flourish next year. 



1 comment:

Thanks for leaving a comment! Even if I don't reply to each comment, please know that I do read every one of them and truly enjoy hearing from you!