Pages

Friday, December 17, 2010

December's Hard Frost

Well, it's finally happened. The night temperatures over the past few days have been hovering between 15-20F and was just too much for my purple Ornamental Kale and orange Violas.

I must say, however, I was rather impressed with how long they lasted. They continued to look great all through November and even early December. But just around the time when I began to think the colors were wrong for Christmas, they simply wilted over and bowed down to the cold.

Since they were spent for the season, I decided to replace them with evergreen cuttings. I filled a similar flower box on my back patio too. And it just happened to snow on them the next day, making for a very pretty sight!


I can see this box from my kitchen window and sliding glass door. It adds a nice bit of greenery to my view in the bleakness of winter.

I filled another container with some of the longer and varied pieces of evergreens and placed it in the corner. I think it looks quite lovely here.

The soil has now frozen around these cuttings, so I hope they hold up for a while!

4 comments:

  1. How nice of your Kale and Violas to gracefully bow out when the time was right. Your greens look snug and cheery under a dusting of white! Have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The spent Violas looked so sad as to be almost funny. The replacement greener looks great! I usually do the same with my urns and window boxes. I find they hold up pretty well through the winter. Have a great weekend!
    P.S. Love the topiary garden. Such great whimsy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must get much colder there than here since violas here sometimes look a little sad with the cold but then they perk up when the temperature warms up

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kate,

    They beautiful look gorgeous.

    Just like to share with you a beautiful quote...

    "You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of. You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life" - Albert Camus

    You can get more quotes about happiness at http://www.quotelandia.com/category/Happiness

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! Even if I don't reply to each comment, please know that I do read every one of them and truly enjoy hearing from you!