Pages

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Ornamental Oregano

Oregano 'Kent Beauty' (Origanum rotundifolium) is an ornamental oregano plant with pretty pink bracts that look somewhat like hop (Humulus) and heart-shaped blue-green leaves.


To maintain the pink flowers, provide bright light and cool night temperatures, if possible. Once established, it is cold hardy.


Kent Beauty enjoys temperatures 55-70°F but will tolerate 20-80°F. Prefers well to fast-draining soil that is kept evenly moist (never soggy). Bright light will maintain pink color but direct afternoon sun may be too hot.


Because of it's cascading fashion, Kent Beauty is lovely in a hanging basket, window box, container or over rock ledges.

In late fall, it's recommended to cut the plants to the ground. The bracts can be cut anytime of year and dried to use in floral arrangements.

Have you grown this plant with success (or failure)? I think its so lovely and unique - I'm going to try it in a few different locations this year.

10 comments:

  1. Wow! What a beauty, looks great in a hanging basket! Is it edible like the ordinary ones?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi p3chandan - it is edible, but doesn't have the flavor of the normal, culinary oregano. So, it smells great, but not great for cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grow this in my gardens and I absolutely love it! I have it cascading over an old railroad tie barrier and it always inspires tons of compliments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks lovely. Love the pink touch. I have never grown this, and have never seen it for sale. I'll be sure to look for it now, though. It's very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where can I purchase these plants? I live in northeastern Pa. Thanks.
    rose19082@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found this one at a local nursery. If they aren't at yours, try asking them where you should find it. or do a search online - you might find someone who has them for purchase via mail-order. Good luck!

      Delete
  6. I just bought one of these in Southern Cali last week. Brought it home to Phoenix for a house plant.....anyone know how it will do on the inside?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't grown it inside, but I would imagine it would do ok - like other herbs you might have in your kitchen. Lots of bright, indirect light and moist soil with a little bit of humidity. I don't think they will do well in dry air. Good luck!

      Delete
  7. Hello, I am searching for what I thought is called simply as, "dwarf oregano", however, unable to find it or compare to other oragano types. The plant I had didn't survive our last-unusually bitter cold winter. This particular oragano plant is a perennial with variable pink flowers and grew maybe to about 8" max., but moreso stayed short. Very aromatic and somewhat sweet tasting. Could this by any chance be a "Kugel", variety? Thank you, Wayne whendrickx@yahoo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! Even if I don't reply to each comment, please know that I do read every one of them and truly enjoy hearing from you!