Pages

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

What's Blooming: June

It's Garden Bloggers Bloom Day! Here's what's growing and blooming in my garden this month.

All my containers are starting to bloom and fill in. The house faces east and therefore, the front gets the most sun in the morning and midday. Here is a look at what the front porch area looks like:

A close up on the flower boxes and containers:
The main box is planted with impatiens and geraniums (both from cuttings), morning glories, white bacopa, purple saliva, black eyed susan, yellow zinnia and sweet william.

Below the box are two pots containing flat leaf parsley and columbine seedlings. To the right of the box are perennial daisies just starting to bloom and beneath that is the geranium plant I overwintered and took cuttings from this spring. It has just started to bloom and produce new growth.

The left box is filled with pansies (still holding on!), impatiens and geraniums, pink pentas, purple saliva, lobelia, morning glory vines, lychnis and white salvia.

The middle box is filled with white Angelonia augustifolia, pink verbena, campanula, pansy, purple salvia and a wild flower seed mix (still not sure what will bloom from these seeds). A small pot of basil I grew from seeds sits below the flower box.

 On the railing, I filled this box with small annual dahlias and yellow chiffon superbells.

I placed a strawberry pot filled with pansies, mint and strawberries (both of which came back on their own this year) on top of a tree trunk log for some height.
 
The rose bush is blooming nicely (a Valentine's gift from my honey two years ago). String beans and sweat peas are climbing vigorously on the teepee - I spotted my first sweet pea flower today! Sunflowers are growing in the container on the steps.

In April, I posted about my new Raspberry shrub. I honestly didn't know if it would be happy in a container, but so far it has been doing great. My kids and I even ate a few berries from it today!

Here's what's going on in the backyard, which gets part shade/dappled sun only in the afternoon:
Double impatiens, coleus, white impatiens and lobelia

This box still has yet to fill in, but when it does, the impatiens and lobelia together will look nice I think. 
 Two more impatiens created by cuttings this year, planted here with more lobelia

My newest addition this year - 6 large containers filled with 2 Ostrich ferns, 1 Cinnamon fern and 2 different varieties of hosta. I'm hoping the ferns will grow tall and act as a screen from the park path behind my house.

Beneath the maple tree, I have 3 containers each filled with Caladium. Impatiens fill in the outside boxes, while Lysimachia fills in the middle one. And how cute is my stone owl?!

Along the back fence, under the maple tree, I placed a long flower box and filled it with lime colored coleus and pink begonias. It adds a little bit of color to a very shady spot. I transplanted the ivy along the ground last fall and am happy to see new growth on it this year.

And that's it. By next month, I'm hoping the Morning Glory vines will have reached new heights, the string beans will be full of beans and the ferns grown taller. Be sure to come back and check in with me!

Many thanks to Carol over at May Dreams Gardens for hosting the monthly Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day.

11 comments:

  1. You have a lot of containers, they are all so pretty and will become more so as they fill in. I was thinking, man, I bet she has to water those a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Darla - I do have to water them a lot! But we are renting our house, so containers are the only way to go for me now. Someday I'll have a proper garden with sprinklers ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kate, Your containers are looking good. Isn't it great that the raspberry was able to produce fruit for you. I forgot to plant some morning glories. I wonder if it is now too late?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was going to ask the same question until I saw Darla's... it's all worth the work though! L

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer, I think you can still put the glories in the ground. they grow so quickly - they may bloom a little later, but that's ok. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow girl you have a lot of containers. ANd I thought I had a lot of containers but you have me beat. Well it always feels like a lot when I an carrying them to the basement in the Fall. LOL! Your Caladiums are so pretty and I love your Miniature Rose. What a cute stone owl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are an impressive container gardener.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have some wonderful containers. I really like the strawberry pot and pansies.Looks great on the log.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to live in a one bedroom apartment on the ground floor, I grew everything in containers until I talked the management into letting me construct some raised beds in the back of the building and along and around the sides of the building. I have such good memories of that and its how I got started gardening Here is something you might enjoy reading:

    http://web.mac.com/sinai/Site/Blog/Entries/2008/6/17_One_Bird_Feeder.html

    Anyways I liked the way you use your containers and the lovely plants you put in them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kate. I just came across your blog thanks to Carol at May Dreams Gardens. I am a fellow Long Islander and landscape designer. It's nice to find someone in the same zone and your blog is so inviting! It was so nice to stop by!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! Even if I don't reply to each comment, please know that I do read every one of them and truly enjoy hearing from you!