Pages

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Old Westbury Gardens

I took the kids to Old Westbury Gardens in Westbury, NY. They love walking around all the gardens and following the winding paths and I love to see what is blooming and how the gardens are coming along. 

Old Westbury is the former home of John S. Phipps and was one of the old Gold Coast estates of Long Island. The mansion sits on nearly 200 acres of formal gardens, landscaped grounds, woodlands, ponds and lakes.

The walled garden is my favorite spot. As soon as you enter, you can feel the temperature rise and each of the beds are so beautifully planted. Above, various types of Rubeckia are in bloom.

Pink and white Phlox, blue Salvia and more.

A beautiful mixed bed in August.

I like to imagine what it would be like if this was my garden. To be able to walk around it every day and enjoy it's beauty. But then, I think of all the work that is involved in maintaining a garden this size and I'm just happy to be able to enjoy it.

These wrought iron gates create the entryway into the walled garden.
It's such a magical place!

6 comments:

  1. The garden looks magical, indeed! I love wall gardens, old urns, bricks... The first photo is great! Kids and flowers - what could be better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tatyana - I agree, kids and flowers are a wonderful mix! There is something magical and mystical about walled gardens. Something from a different time perhaps...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi kate

    Beautiful visit...!

    I needed this today, working nonstop, ugh.

    And thanks for dropping by Alice's Garden Travel Buzz, too. Cheers xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kate. What a beautiful garden. I would love walking around in it and taking in all of the plants. I usually come home with sensory overload with the plants I liked and want to add to the never ending list or a bunch of new ideas to jot down before I forget them LOL! Camera's are such memory helpers. I love all of the summer color that is still in the Old Westbury Garden.
    Thanks for dropping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a lovely garden. I almost feel like I've been there too! I love the clean lines of this garden, wouldn't it be nice to have a caretaker? But then, we'd miss out on all the fun!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Neat garden with nicely arranged colours. Thank you for sharing your photos!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! Even if I don't reply to each comment, please know that I do read every one of them and truly enjoy hearing from you!